Makes 6 servings
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 leeks, white part only, cleaned and chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes, chopped, reserve juice
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 Tablespoons Savannah Bee Company Acacia Honey
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 Tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add leeks, celery and peppers; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Stir in cayenne and ginger; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes with juice, broth, honey and vinegar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool soup slightly; puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat if necessary and serve sprinkled with mint and parsley. Serve warm or cold.
Recipe courtesy of The National Honey Board.